Tuesday 16 November 2010

Fete du Tabaski

I promise to finish the blog I started before, I also will finish the Ghana section off properly but for now I will write about Togo, whilst its fresh.

I decided not to travel from Accra to the capital of Togo, Lome, but to go from a town in the lake area in Ghana over the mountains to a place called Kpalime. It was a very good decision, coming down through stunning scenery and greenery, in a truck that looked like it had fallen straight from 1940s India, and certainly raised the bar for my definition of rustbucket. considering the terrain and load on the roof (including a sheep, which we had to stop at one point to reattach when legs appeared through the window) Im surprised we made it. Immediately everything felt different... a definite French influence - they have roads, pretty buildings, signs selling sanwhiches (today I had a ham and cheese baguette and nearly cried!). I went into the mountains on a taximoto (little moped, no helmet, no speed limits - but my driver was very good about slowing down or putting his phone away when I asked!) to visit waterfalls etc. I stayed Saturday till Tuesday (today) then came to Lome. The place Im staying is gorgeous, near the beach, but not so close as to be unsafe, with a gorgeous roof terrace. Today is the Muslim fete du tabaski, problematic from the perspictive of going to banks and embassies but fascinating for a walk along the long stretch of beach at the front of the town. The beach reminds me of Brighton, only, I have to wear suncream here. Ive even spotted a couple of rickshaws. On the beach are people playing silly summer fete style games, riding horses and building sand sculptures. Its a really great atmosphere, and not a single white person other than myself (my hostel is another matter, being owned by a swiss guy and expat central - Im tuning in to English speakers though, I befriended an american simply because of her weird french accent).

Only four days in to the travelling alone bit of this trip and Im finding it pretty hard already. Its such an emotional rollercoaster between wondering why I am here and having a knot in my tomach to thinking iim in the best places in the world several times a day. I think Ghana may have been a little too easy on me, if I didnt feel culture shock there, Im certainly feeling it here.

p.s; apologies for typos cant use french keyboard!

2 comments:

  1. Good to read your latest blog lizzie. Intriguing picture you paint about Brighton with suncream! Look forward to hearing lots more as you go on your travels - love Mumxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to read about your journal am

    starting to cope better with blogs I think . slow learner !

    lots of LOVE xx G&G

    ReplyDelete